Bellezza’s latest post reminded me of the Japanese Literature Challenge. I also participated last year (and sort-of-participated three times before that) and I’m looking forward to joining everyone again this year! The challenge runs from June to January (so there is some overlap with the annual January in Japan reading event. Link-up for Japanese Literature Challenge 9 can be found here.
Bellezza made herself a TBR for the event and that sounded like an excellent idea. I haven’t been reading as much Japanese literature this year as I wanted (a meagre 9 books) so it’s time to catch up. These are the books I will hopefully read:
- Amrita by Banana Yoshimoto
- Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
- The Cage of Zeus by Sayuri Ueda
- Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami
- Ico: Castle in the Mist by Miyuki Miyabe
- In by Natsuo Kirino (if it is ever actually published)
- Oh, Tama! by Mieko Kanai
- The Stories of Ibis by Hiroshi Yamamoto
- Strangers by Taichi Yamada
- Zoo by Otsuichi
Also a shout out to all my followers: I really want to read more amazing books by women. I have far too few Japanese women on my TBR. If you’ve got recommendations (preferably modern fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc.), please let me know!