Soooo in July I completed my Goodreads challenge of 52 books. And on top of that, also in July Brilliant Years got 5.000 views and to celebrate there’s a giveaway where you can win one book I read in 2014! Don’t forget to check it out and enter.
Read in July
I read a lot in July! 14 books! Nah, just kidding. Five of the ‘books’ I read this month were short stories/novellas. Many of the books weren’t spectacular… but I’m very excited to have started the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and can’t wait to finish the last book (and at the same time I neverrrr want to finish it because then it’s over!). Another highlight of the month was The Martian Chronicles, I absolutely loved that.
- Mosses from an old Manse (Works, #10) by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor
- The Star by H.G. Wells
- The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
- The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells
- The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells
- A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) by Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2) by Laini Taylor
- Last Winter We Parted by Fuminori Nakamura
- Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5) by Laini Taylor
- The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
- Natural Selection (Adaptation #1.5) by Malinda Lo
Events and challenges
I didn’t do that much challenge reading this month…
- Goodreads Reading Challenge
Completed my original goal of 52 books and upped my goal to 75!
- Japanese Literature Challenge 8
I only read Last Winter We Parted by Fuminori Nakamura.
- Dystopia Reading Challenge
A few of my MOOC reads more or less apply: The Martian Chronicles for sure, and arguably The Star and maybe even The Island of Dr. Moreau?
- LGBT YA Challenge 2014
I read Natural Selection by Malinda Lo. Too short to write a review about, but will combine it with a review of Inheritance when I finish that one.
July book haul of shame
I don’t even want to post a picture so I’m just going to link you to it. I love all the books I got this month so much but I’m slightly embarrassed. In my defence, Station Eleven and Otherbound I won 🙂
And there might or might not be more coming 😡 But I’m putting myself on a book buying ban starting in August (i.e. NOW)
As for August…
I’m going to read whatever the hell I please in August and nothing can stop me. I have not made any plans but I suspect a bunch of LGBT YA novels, and probably Otherbound by Corinne Duyvis and Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. I had planned to join Women in Translation Month and I might still do that once I get back (will be abroad for a week starting tomorrow). I’ll have to see.